Confessions of a Suffolk Photographer – Wedding Make-up
Emma Quin, started Pretty Faces Make Up in 2005, after a successful career at Clarins & Lancôme. Her love of make up started as a young girl, watching her older sisters transform themselves for parties and dates. Mesmerised by the green and blue eyeshadow so popular in the 1970s, it wasn’t long before Emma had learnt how to apply her favourite Mary Quant make up with expertise! Over the last decade, Emma has built up an excellent reputation as THE make-up artist for brides and the bridal party. Frequently on the preferred suppliers list, Emma is in demand in & around Suffolk, but often recommended for society weddings. Here are her top 10 tips for your wedding make up.
Top 10 Tips – Make-up
1. If you are getting married on a Saturday, book your make-up stylist at least a year in advance, Emma recommends a Summer Saturday wedding 18months, Friday’s 6 months and weekdays 3 months to the big day.
2. The most popular colour palette is warm matte brown and pink. Emma likes using the Urban brand; Decay 1 and 3 sets are amazing. For classic natural look, Lancome Hypnose Doll eyes in Taupe au naturel. Remember to use an eyeshadow primer!
3. Magazines are great for inspiration, however if you’re not use to wearing lots of make-up don’t start on your wedding day.
Practice makes perfect
4. I recommend a practice / trial with your makeup artist: Emma normally does this during the same season of the wedding so the look and feel works.
Wedding Make-up and Hair
5. It’s very important that hair and make-up complement one another. It can be an advantage if both artists have worked together before.
6. On your wedding day don’t forget to have your lipstick and powder with you, to top up through the day and evening.
7. Certain colours and styles suit different seasons, for summer: bronze and Browns, Autumn: browns and warm, pinks/rusts and mauves, Spring: pale pink and pastels, Winter: silvers and sparkles. All this depends on your personal preferences, colour schemes and themes. Red lips always look fabulous in winter if you’re feeling brave! Emma is particular fond of using Mac Ruby Woo!.
8. Take pictures of your finished look to make sure you are happy with how you look on print as well as in the mirror.
9. Bridesmaids – If they have the same dress it’s often advisable to have the same colours in makeup. But vary the usage according to personal taste.
Emotions on your day
10. There’s bound to be tears, use a water proof mascara – Lancôme is highly recommended as is Benefit ‘They’re real’. Try black gel liner or brown waterproof pencil liner by L’Oréal.
3 Quick Questions
Make Up – Mac is her favourite premium brand. Kiko is a great mid range make and MUA at Superdrug is perfect as a low cost alternative.
Emma´s favorite make-up photo: Picture provided by Emma Quinn